I have this memory. I’m a little kid. I’m sitting in front of a TV watching a cartoon. I think it’s Rocky and Bullwinkle. A cartoon newscaster comes on the screen and announces “Local dog chases local cat over local fence.” I laugh.
Fast forward several decades and here I am writing similar headlines. This week’s paper is chock full of local stuff. We don’t have any dogs chasing cats, but the Sheriff’s Log does have the story of two women who get in a fight over a dog. Check it out.
Some other notable stories in this week’s edition:
• Prank calls put 2 students in juvenile hall
• Victim uses gun to fight off home invaders in Orick
• Stakeout at recycling center nabs 3 suspects.
• Gun club’s permit upheld
• Don and Linda Harling receive Azalea Award
• Despite protests, Trinidad raises its water rates
• Trinidad School Bond to appear on June ballot
• Girl Scout cookies now available! Yee-Haw!
• McKinleyville Art Night is Friday. We have a list of all the venues and participating artists.
• Linda and Robin are being transferred from the McK Post Office to the Arcata Post Office. This is a real bummer. I’ll miss them both.
• Tom Lurtz writes a letter that includes lots of good questions about the USPS decision to cut back hours at the McK Post Office. (Starting today the post office doesn’t open until 10 a.m.) Why didn’t the USPS get community input? Is this a sound business decision?
Deliveries begin in about an hour. The goal is to have the paper out at all retail locations and newspaper racks by 4 p.m. at the latest.
And now a word from our sponsors:
YOU ARE INVITED…
…to join the McKinleyville Federated Women’s Club (MFWC). Our ongoing projects include: donations to our schools and children, to Women’s Shelters, the Rescue Mission and Food Bank. MFWC fundraisers (we call them “fun-raisers”) raise money and materials for our many projects.
Drop by at 12:30 p.m. on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at the Club House in Ocean West to sample our camaraderie, our support for each other, our optimism, Call Julia Walker at 839-5043 for more information.
Six Rivers Brewery is the Brew with a View! Happy hour daily from 4-6pm. Sushi and Karaoke every Monday, Southern Fried Chicken and Jazz on Tuesdays and Wednesday is Smoked Out BBQ night and “unplugged” music from local musicians.
Please note that Sutters Mudd remains open even while construction is underway on a new gas station and mini mart at the corner of Central Avenue and Sutter Road. So stop on by for a cup of freshly brewed organic coffee, an espresso, cappuccino or mocha. Sutters Mudd is locally owned and family run.
Mortimer Plumbing is your hometown plumber! Call Tim Mortimer at (707) 839-9111 for all your plumbing needs and remodels. 24-hour services. Lic. # 512576. Mention this ad before March 15, 2012 and receive $15 off service calls in McKinleyville and Arcata.
The Silver Lining Restaurant in McKinleyville is now offering a casual menu with great service and a beautiful view of the runway or the ocean. Like us on Facebook to keep up-to-date on events such as Live Music and Karaoke! Visit: http://www.facebook.com/silverliningrestaurant